First Time? Welcome, here are some tips to help you
Everyone has had a first Bikram Yoga class and everyone had some questions. Here are some pointers to calm your nerves and get you ready for your first Bikram Hot Yoga class.
1. FLEXABILITY - absolutely zero flexibility is required! This is a beginners series and you come to yoga to become flexible. Saying you aren't flexible enough to do yoga is like saying you need to learn to play the piano before you take piano lessons.
2. HYDRATE - drink plenty of water during the day in the lead up to your first class. Don't go crazy though and guzzle litre after litre, but do add a little more water than your usual daily intake.
3. EAT - but not too much and not immediately before class. This possibly isn't the day to hit the all you can eat buffet. Try to have your last full meal at least 2 hours before class.
4. PANTS - are required but steer clear of long pants and sleeves. Wear whatever is comfortable for you but we recommend not wearing thick long pants or long sleeves.
5. WATER - bring at least a litre of water to class. You don't want to run out during class and have to take down your neighbour to steal their water.
6. EARLY - arrive at least 10 minutes before your first class. This gives you time to get signed in and relax for a while before class kicks off.
7. BRING - A full sized towel, yoga mat and water to class. Don't stress if you don't have any of this we have it available for hire or purchase at the studio.
8. NO - expectations and NO comparisons - place no expectations on yourself and do not compare yourself to others in class. Just be you, everyone else is already taken.
9. CARE - take care of yourself in the room. If you need to take a break, no problem take a break, sit down on your mat.
10. THANK your teacher for this fresh hell they just put you through, it's only polite.
11. RETURN - come back tomorrow.
12. BREATHE - simple but it is your life saver. If during any posture you feel yourself struggling, just back off a little and breathe.